Renoir’s Lady with a Parasol in the Garden (detail), 1875
- Entartete Kunst- degenerate art; HUGE art show -> modern art-was to ridicule artist (ex. Dadaism & Impressionist)
- Uses Joseph Olbrich’s blankness…closed in 1930’s. wanted to bring efficiency and = VERY INFLUENTIAL!
- Bauhaus (house for building) design school in the 1920’s, re-taught all art and design. Extremely Influential.
- Surrealism - Andre Breton - French writer and Poet INVENTS SURREALISM. Wrote Manifesto about the word and definition of Surrealism.
- Curious Juxtaposition or odd placement of things.
- German Surrealism: decalcomania - process of transferring paint using an alternate tool than a brush (i.e. rag, etc.)
- American Scene Painting- artists of the united states paint their versions of America (1920’s-1940’s)
- James Van Der Zee became documentary photographer. Harlem Renaissance encouraged by Dr. Alain Locke - promoted school of “negro art”
- Photorealism - style of painting that deliberately tried to emulate a photograph. Paintingbecomes the focus
"Lavender Mist" (1950s) - Jackson Pollack, abstract expressionism; an example of action painting
"Migrant Mother" (1930s) - Dorthea Lange, photography